Thanks to a shared vision and generous support from Mayo Clinic Health System—Franciscan Healthcare and Western Technical College, with support from the La Crosse Community Foundation, in October 2015 Hillview moved into a new state-of-the-art greenhouse located on Western’s campus in the Horticulture Education Center on the corner of 7th & Vine. In our new greenhouse we are providing education on growing, preparing and preserving nutritious food with a focus on low-income individuals and families as well as providing senior citizens, specially-abled and other community members with volunteer opportunities in greenhouse activities and programs.
Hillview’s mission in the Greenhouse
- Provide educational and inspirational program space for people of all ages and abilities to participate.
- Grow organic and heirloom variety food seedlings to be sold/donated for community gardens, school gardens, and the public.
- Grow produce to fruition for sale at farmers markets, grocery, and restaurant and donation to food pantries.
In 2016, our greenhouse has:
- Provided over 1,400 participant hours in the greenhouse to people of all ages and abilities.
- Grown 5,000 food plants that were sold into the community.
- Donated 500 food plants to local non-profits – WAFER, Riverfront, GROW La Crosse, Viterbo’s garden for Boys and Girls Club, Mayo’s Onalaska Community garden, Clearwater Farm, and the YMCA Food Forest.
- Donated hundreds of pounds of fresh local organic produce to Salvation Army and the group homes on the property of the Washburn Neighborhood Garden.
- Has provided tours including students from 7 Rivers High School, Emerson Elementary and UW-L, YWCA Day Care, Sustainability Institute, Bluff Country Master Gardeners, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and many more.
- Taught classes at our Spring Plant Sale on Square Foot Gardening and Growing Microgreens
- Grown delicious and highly nutritious microgreens by our volunteers and interns and for sale at the People’s Food Co-op. We also supply local restaurants with our microgreens, including The Charmant, The Mint, Piggy’s, and Waterfront Restaurant!