Thanks to a shared vision and generous support from Mayo Clinic Health System and Western Technical College, with support from the La Crosse Community Foundation, in October 2015 Hillview moved into a new state-of-the-art greenhouse located on Western’s campus in the Horticulture Education Center on the corner of 7th & Vine. In our new greenhouse we are providing education on growing, preparing and preserving nutritious food with a focus on low-income individuals and families as well as providing senior citizens, specially-abled and other community members with volunteer opportunities in greenhouse activities and programs.
Hillview’s mission in the Greenhouse
- Provide educational and inspirational program space for people of all ages and abilities to participate.
- Grow organic and heirloom variety food seedlings to be sold/donated for community gardens, school gardens, and the public.
- Grow produce to fruition for sale at farmers markets, grocery, and restaurant and donation to food pantries.
In 2018, our greenhouse:
- Has provided tours including students from 7 Rivers High School, Emerson Elementary and UW-L, YWCA Day Care, Sustainability Institute, Bluff Country Master Gardeners, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and many more.
- Grown seedlings in our greenhouse for sale at our annual Spring plant sale (all proceeds go to furthering Hillview’s mission) with nearly half of the seedlings donated to community & school gardens, as well as Habitat for Humanity square foot gardening program.
- Taught classes at our Spring Plant Sale, South Side Community Center and Erickson Boys & Girls Club
- Grown delicious and highly nutritious microgreens by our volunteers and interns that are for sale at our greenhouse as well as at the farmers market. We also sell our micro greens to local restaurants.